środa, 29 grudnia 2010

Tru:Funk interview with Lebrosk

Tru:Funk: Hi James. As far as we know, the forthcoming Tru:Funk party will be your first visit to Poland, is that right?

Lebrosk: Yeah this will be my first time visiting Poland, I was going to visit with friends a couple of years ago but it never happened so looking forward to coming over.

Tru:Funk: Where does Lebrosk come from? How did you come up with the name? What were your beginnings as a DJ?

Lebrosk: No idea where the actual name came from but I remember making some mixtapes back in the mid 90's at University and using this name. When it came to putting my DJ name on the first flyer for my first night I remembered the name Lebrosk and it's stuck ever since. It's quite unique too so doesn't get mixed up with other DJ names although Google has just started linking it with a hot 80's actress called Kelly LeBrock from that film Weird Science.

As far as my beginnings go, I got into Big Beat back in the mid 90's after seeing the Chemical Brothers support Oasis at a big festival called Knebworth in the UK. I'd never really heard dance music with a broken up beat and instantly fell in love with the sound. After that I got into labels like Skint, Wall Of Sound and Freskanova and I followed the whole breaks scene ever since.

Tru:Funk: Where do you get the ideas for the tunes you make?

Lebrosk: I think a lot of the mashups and bootlegs come about from messing around on the decks (probably after a few drinks!). You can be mixing a couple of songs together and then suddenly you realise the vocals fit perfectly on top the other track. This happened with a favourite mashup of mine called "I know you got ooh wee!", the two tracks just seemed to fit together perfectly. I think a couple of bootlegs I made earlier this year helped me get noticed by a couple of producers and fortunately I was asked to do a couple of remixes for the Warriorz label, one being a Pale The Kid remix with Rory Hoy.

Tru:Funk: Some of the Tru:Funk crew members are into music making business, so we have to ask you this question:
What software and hardware do you use for making music? What's your studio setup?


Lebrosk: I started off using Cool Edit Pro years ago for making mixtapes then moved onto Sony Acid when I started making mashups and now I've moved onto Ableton. There's a lot I still need to learn though but it's good fun learning.

Tru:Funk: Has the number of bootlegs and mashups you've made influenced your career in any way?

Lebrosk: Definitely, I think the mixes and radio shows have been the best promotional tool for me. My first gig abroad came about from my friend Meeloox in Romania hearing a mix I posted on a forum, he got in touch while I was travelling around New Zealand and asked if I was interested in warming up for A-Skillz in Romania, of course I was up for it! Shortly after this gig Andi from Ramp FM got in touch and asked about doing a radio show on Ramp FM. I've met some great people along the journey and made some really good friends.

Tru:Funk: How did you come up with the idea for 'Funk Sessions' radio show on Ramp FM?

Lebrosk: When I started DJing in bars I realised that the nuskool breaks style was a bit too heavy so started collecting the more funky style of breaks on vinyl. Labels like Good Groove, Manmade and Hot to Trot were getting more and more popular and the whole scene really started taking off. I was playing more and more funk tracks and bootlegs and when I got asked to do a show I stuck with the funky side of things. These days I'll play al sorts of styles on the show including breaks, house, drum & bass and dubstep but I'll try to keep it all funky.

Tru:Funk: Are there any artists that you particularly admire?

Lebrosk: There's been some great new talent this year so lots to choose from but the people I'm most excited about hearing new stuff from in 2011 would be 'Some DJ', Totalcult and Delimentary. Some DJ seems to be able to nail every kind of style out there and I've been playing his tunes at gigs recently and the crowds love them. Totalcult's production seems to just get better and better the more he does and his latest release So Much Trouble ticks all the right boxes for me. I saw one of Delimentary's videos on facebook a couple of months ago and really like his style and the way he uses the latest technology to put together some amazing sets!

Tru:Funk: What does Funky Breaks scene in the UK look like?

Lebrosk: I think the scene's still got a long way to go but I really think it's on the up. I think we need more people putting on nights in the UK because I've seen how much the crowd loves the NuFunk / Ghetto Funk style and it really makes helps make a great vibe somewhere. I think this style offers people on a night out something different to the many house music nights you get in 90% of bars these days and really stands out.

Tru:Funk: Which way do you think Nu Funk scene will go in 2011? Will it be Ghetto Funk or rather Disco Breaks?

Lebrosk: Good question, I think the new 'Ghetto Funk' style is great because it has more of a club element with the dirty basslines you get whereas the Disco Breaks style people like Kid Stretch is pioneering is perfect for playing in bars, you get a great reaction from the ladies with the disco style.

Tru:Funk: What was your Tru:Funk Tune of the Year 2010 :) ?

Lebrosk: I think it has to be Dreamer by Featurecast, great tune!

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz